Jeff Steiner's Americans in France.
Resource for people that would like to live or travel in France.

Attractions

Culture

Daily Life

Driving

Links

Moving Planner

Podcast/Hangouts

Q & A

Reading List

Travel Planner

Videos

Expat Store
Currency
Services

Driver's License

Events

Foods

Garbage
Disposal Units


Insurance

Learn French

Tax Services

Telephony

1910 Great Flood of ParisThen & Now

Set of 10 Then & Now photos of Paris. Then photos are of the January 1910 'Great flood of Paris' and the now photos from May 2014.
Like to know where these scenes are in Paris? See the Google Map at the bottom.

Restaurant Ledoyen near the Champs-Élysées.

Pont Royal during the flood and in 2014.

For this section of Avenue Daumesnil, the biggest change over the years looks to be cars replacing horse and buggies and the removal light posts :). These photos were taken on Avenue Daumesnil looking towards Place de la Bastille and the intersection with Avenue Ledru-Rollin.
Trivia: At 3.8 miles, Avenue Daumesnil is the longest street in Paris, not counting expressways.

This photo was taken at the intersection of Boulevard de Grenelle with streets Viala and de Lourmel. It's difficult to know if this postcard was mislabeled or if street names changed. There is a nearby rue Violet that could have been the postcards Carrefour Violet.
The name Grenelle comes from a town of the same name that was annexed by Paris in January 1860. The town of was bordered to the west by the Seine and the north by Boulevard de Grenelle until Place Cambronne.

Les Invalides doesn't look to have changed a lot over the years. But the skyline of Paris has, as the Montparnasse Tower in the now photos, on the left of Les Invalides can attest.
Photo taken from in front of Les Invalides on Avenue du Maréchal Gallieni.

Yes, the now photos is really of Pont de l'Alma, notice the steeple of the American Cathedral in Paris hasn't moved. Pont de l'Alma was rebuilt during the years 1970-1974.
Photo from the Left Bank of the Seine, at the park between the river and Quai d'Orsay. Close to the entrance of the Musée des Égouts de Paris (Paris Sewer Museum).

This is on Rue de Bourgogne looking at the Palais Bourbon (building with pillars), home of the French National Assembly.
Photo from in front of the intersection with Rue Saint-Dominique.

The old postcard is labeled Rue de Bourgogne, but the street looks to be Rue de l'Université.
The now photo from the corner of Rue de l'Université and Place du Palais-Bourbon.

Building on the right looks little changed from 1910, unlike the buildings on the left.
Photo at the intersection with rue Traversière.

Rue Parrot looks much the same as it did in 1910.
Photo from the intersection with rue Michel Chasles.

Google map of these locations:


View Paris Then & Now in a larger map


Sign-up for the FREE Americans in France newsletter.
Just type in your e-mail address and click 'Subscribe'.



HomeBack

Contact

Newsletter

About

Search Site


Travel Store

Apartments

Apps

Auto Rentals

B&B's

Cell Phones

Hotels

Phone Card

Sightseeing

SIM Card

WiFi

Workshops

Terms &
Conditions

This site
uses Cookies!

Terms of Service

Other

Follow me
on Twitter.


Facebook Page

RSS Feed