Jeff Steiner's Americans in France.
Resource for people that would like to live or travel in France.



Daily Life



Moving Planner


Q & A

Reading List

Travel Planner


Expat Store

Driver's License



Disposal Units


Learn French

Tax Services


ForumRead Message

Subject: french income tax for retired americans in france
Date: Monday, November 06, 2006
Name: roberto
Message: An urgent request for clarification on the burden of French Income Tax and CSG for Americans who are totally retired, living in France with income coming from United States.

Is there some one who is in the situation described above. It is very confusing because there is no clear picture on (i) relief under the Bilateral Treaty to avoid additional French Tax burden on USA pension and Social Security Income (ii) the imposition of CSG-- does it apply (iii) to what extent is the French Tax on Mutual Fund Sales in USA & CapGain, if any.

One other question: is there a source for obtaining Health Insurance cover for persons over 70 yrs of age

Yet another: which area & town the best place for year around temperature over 50 F even in winter months.

PLEASE respond A S A P

Monday 6 November 2006

Replies Posted 4.

Name Tom Philipp
Message TAXES Regarding the tax issue, the main rule is described in the last US-FRENCH DOUBLE TAXATION TREATY

WARM PLACE IN FRANCE You could try the south of France, Menton or near Spain...


Name Lori
Message Since my previous post was of no help to you, and you seem to need help immediately, I would try contacting one or more of the offices below. These folks should be able to give you the straight facts. There are offices in France and/or in the U.S.A. and there are emails for both locations. Just trying to help you.



Direction Générale des Impôts Centre des Impôts des Non-Résidents TSA 10010 10 rue du Centre - 793465 NOISY LE GRAND Phone (011) Email: [email protected]

Direction de la Comptabilité Publique Trésorerie de Paris des Non-Résidents TSA 10010 10 rue du Centre - 793465 NOISY LE GRAND Phone: (011) Email: [email protected]

Journal Officiel de la République Française (JO) 26, rue Desaix - 75727 PARIS CEDEX 15

Internet page of the Direction Générale des Impôts : where you will find : - The tax treaties signed by France ; - The French tax code ; - A detailed explanation of the French tax system ; - The tax forms - The possibility to calculate your income tax

If you are a resident of France and have problems with your US taxes, please call the Internal Revenue Representative at the US embassy in Paris:

Email: [email protected]


Direction Générale des Impôts TAX ATTACHE 4101 Reservoir Road, N.W. Washington D.C. 20007 Phone: (202) 944-6391 Fax.(202) 944-6373 Email : [email protected]

Trésorerie P.O.Box 40010 Washington DC 20016-0703 Phone: (202) 944-6000

Internal Revenue Service International Taxpayer Service 950 L'Enfant Plaza South S.W. Washington DC 20024 Fax (202) 874-5440 International taxpayer service: 1.215.516.2000 Internet page : RF forms: : request by fax at (202) 874-5440 The foreign certification form no 6166 can be obtained at: Internal Revenue Service - foreign Certification Unit P. O. Box 16347 - PHILADELPHIA, PA 19114-0447 Phone: (215) 516-7135 Fax: (215) 516-1035

Name roberto
Message Hello: Thursday Nov 9th 2006 9:36 PM USA

Thanks for the input from Lori...but I was hoping to get de facto information from persons who are in the same status as ourselves-- actually RETIRED, receiving Govt. pension & Social Security income from the U.S.Government PLUS interest income PLUS mutual funds dividends...Others who are working for an American company but stationed in France are governed by a different set of regulations. Some misunderstand the implication of BiLateral Treaty, this is complicated. Even if one files a U.S. Income Tax & pays the tax in U.S.A., but being a resident of FRANCE creates ADDITIONAL obligations to some French Income Tax-- that is what I wanted to hear from persons who has done that. There is a French Tax on World Income (on Interest & dividends), though the pension may have paid a tax in USA. The French Income Tax system is a "mine field" and unless one has actually experienced a situation similat to ours, a General statement may not be of help. Will someone fully knowlegeable, P L E A S E respond. Thanks.

Name Lori
Message You should start by reading the link below. The section titled Tax and Business in France. Though it may not answer all your questions, it is most informative.

We live in France and live on income earned and already taxed from the U.S.A. However, we are not retired. Each person's tax status can be considerably different. There is no double taxation in France. If your income has been taxed in the U.S., it won't be taxed in France, however, if you are resident in France, you will have to report that income in order for the French to determine any tax on any income actually earned in France - interest, etc.

As to mutual funds or stock transactions completed in the U.S. - any earnings would be noted on your U.S. tax return right??? If so, they would not then be double taxed here.

Not sure if this helps you or not. Tax advice should be taken from a professional - I'm sure you already know that.

You can always inquire to the Centre des Impots in France. They have a website and can be most helpful and obviously most accurate.

Follow @jeffsteiner

Sign-up for the FREE Americans in France newsletter.
Just type in your e-mail address and click 'Subscribe'.





Search Site

Travel Store


Auto Rentals


Cell Phones


Phone Card


SIM Card



Terms &

This site
uses Cookies!

Terms of Service


Follow me
on Twitter.

Facebook Page

RSS Feed