Jeff Steiner's Americans in France.
Resource for people that would like to live or travel in France.



Daily Life



Moving Planner


Q & A

Reading List

Travel Planner


Expat Store

Driver's License



Disposal Units


Learn French

Tax Services


Daily LifeExpat Tax Info from Barron Harper

By Barron Harper

Also by Barron Harper:
Exit Tax Could Affect your Expatriation
FATCA Filing Requirements
Renouncing US Residence Status
Should You Know What are FBAR and FATCA?
Americans Approach Tax Paying Deadline
IRS Circumvents Bilateral Agreement
Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts II
Congress Legislates Accuracy Penalty
Qualifying for Foreign Earned Income Exclusion and Economic Stimulus
Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts

2011 Expat Tax Filing Requirements

The United States tax authority – Internal Revenue Service – is the only institution that requires U.S. citizens and deemed U.S. residents to file an annual tax return on which is reported income from all sources worldwide. Other countries apply this requirement to residents rather than citizenry.

Occasionally Americans living abroad are surprised by this requirement in those circumstances where they are already filing a tax return and paying taxes to a foreign country of residence. So refusing to file a U.S. tax return, they may also believe that filing tax returns on the same income to both countries means double taxation.

As the Internal Revenue Service has in place the power and wherewithal to assess rather stiff penalties against anyone who neglects his/her duty, noncompliance can ultimately be expensive. Where one has not filed a return stateside for many years, IRS requires filings for three prior years in addition to the current year. In 2011 this means filing tax returns for 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010. While owing taxes to the United States Treasury is unusual due to filers being able to apply foreign tax credits and/or foreign earned income exclusions against any IRS assessments, the Service will require that six years be filed in the event that taxes are owed.

Filing requirements are actually based on a predetermined income level per filing status. It works something like this:

Filing Status Age End of 2010 Gross Income Determines
Single Under 65 $9,350
  65 or older $10,750
Married Filing Joint Under 65 (both spouses) $18,700
  65 or older (one spouse) $19,800
  65 or older (both spouses) $20,900
Married Filing Separate Any age $3,650
Head of Household Under 65 $12,050
  65 or older $13,450
Qualifying widow(er) Under 65 $15,050
  65 or older $16,150

So if your filing status is, say, Head of Household and you are under 65, you would have to file a U.S. tax return if your gross income in 2010 was at least $12,050.

Related Link:
Expat Tax Services

Sign-up for the FREE Americans in France newsletter!





Search Site

Travel Store

Auto Rentals


Cell Phones


Phone Card


SIM Card



Terms &

This site
uses Cookies!

Terms of Service


Follow me
on Twitter.

Facebook Page

RSS Feed