Souillac Jazz Festival
Souillac Jazz Festival - 19-26 July 2014
Souillac, France, 9 June 2014—This small town in the Department of the Lot, southwestern France, will resound with some of the best contemporary music during the Souillac Jazz Festival on 19-26 July.
Hosted in a popular tourist region renowned for its unique natural and cultural heritage, "Souillac en jazz" offers festival-goers numerous opportunities to break boundaries and pepper their visit with jazz:
Stroll alongside a marching band on the banks of the Dordogne River;
- Attend a sizzling concert blending rock, funk, rap and jazz outside the quiet church of Pinsac;
- Hear what a piano can do to the vibrant tunes of Brel, Trenet and Bécaud deep in an underground cave;
- Enjoy local gastronomic fare accompanied by the festive sounds of jazz;
- Watch Duke Ellington in rarely seen archival film footage;
- Walk through the streets, sitting down from time to time, to listen to free concerts or visit an exhibition;
- Be seduced by the flirtatious mix of rock and Thelonious Monk, as interpreted by the fiery Francesco Bearzatti quartet;
- Experience the seething whirl of rhythms and melodies produced by the innovative American trio, The Bad Plus;
- Succumb to the enchantment of Youn Sun Nah and her now-tender, nowident vocals that cover the full gamut of emotions.
- Sat. 19 July: jazz walk with the Red Fish Quintet and the storyteller Clément Bouscarel
- Sun. 20 July: Picnic with the Red Fish Quintet; organ hour with the Tea for Two duo; free concert by Light Blazer in Pinsac
- Mon. 21 July: Projection of the films "Black and Tan Fantasy" (archive) and "Un Amour" (Richard Copans)
- Tues. 22 July: Solo piano concert by Philippe Léogé in the caves of Lacave
- Wed. 23 July: From the market to the table, a supper-concert performed by Fretswing
- Thur. 24 July: Francesco Bearzatti Tinissima Quartet, Monk’n’roll
- Fri. 25 July: The Bad Plus, Made possible
- Sat. 26 July: Youn Sun Nah
Three weeklong exhibits: The cartoons of Albert Dubout, "Jazz landing", and sketches of the festival, updated daily
Thurs.-Sat.: Free concerts in Souillac with Demonsant/Doumerc duo, Fretswing and Red Fish (Sat.-Tues.)
The Souillac jazz festival, now in its 39th year, is funded by more than 150 local merchants, small businesses and tradespeople; patrons; and the Town of Souillac, the Department of the Lot, the Midi-Pyrénées region and the French Government, in recognition of its key role in local development.
For more information: www.souillacenjazz.fr, email@example.com , or Robert Peyrillou, Artistic Director, firstname.lastname@example.org , tel. +33 126.96.36.199.92. Online ticket sales.
Sign-up for the FREE Americans in France newsletter.
Just type in your e-mail address and click 'Subscribe'.